Explosive details and excerpts are emerging from the book titled “A Warning”, a behind-the-scenes account of the Trump White House, authored by an alleged senior Trump official identified simply as “Anonymous.”
From the excerpts obtained by news outlets, Trump is portrayed as easily distracted, forcing advisers and aides to increasingly simplify briefing materials in a bid to achieve a semblance of understanding from an inattentive President.
The author notes that they have revised their assessment of the overall situation, resigned now to the fact that Trump cannot be changed, in spite of the best efforts from bureaucrats and career officials attempting to steer the President on the right course.
According to “Anonymous”, Vice President Mike Pence would have acceded to a majority of cabinet officials’ invocation of the 25th Amendment to remove Trump from office.
NNP Quote: “I was wrong about the ‘quiet resistance’ inside the Trump administration. Unelected bureaucrats and cabinet appointees were never going to steer Donald Trump the right direction in the long run, or refine his malignant management style. He is who he is.” – Excerpt from “A Warning”
NNP Background: In 2018, the New York Times published an unusual Op-Ed titled “I am Part of the Resistance Inside the Trump Administration”, penned by “Anonymous”, a senior Trump official. The author claimed that a “resistance” group of officials and bureaucrats was working from within the White House to thwart Trump’s reckless actions and temper his rash impulses.
A year later, the author has returned with a new book titled “A Warning”, providing even more details and revising his original, optimistic assessment that Trump could be managed; the author now concludes in the book that the President not susceptible to reason and sage advice.
To get both perspectives on these events, we analyzed an article from a left-leaning media source and an article from a right-leaning media source below!
What the left said
- Left wing media characterized the book’s portrayal of the White House as “suspicious, cruel and chaotic” under Trump’s leadership.
- The article also supports the veracity of the account, stating that the book “reveals intimate details that could provide a rare look” at Trump behind the scenes.
- Progressive media also reported the book’s claim that Trump frequently engaged in sexist behavior, addressing “professional women as ‘sweetie’ and ‘honey'”, and commenting on their “makeup, weight and clothing.”
- Left wing sources also quote the White House response that journalists covering the book should operate under the assumption that the book is a “work of fiction.”
In Case You Missed It
What the right said
- Conservative media approached the book with a greater air of skepticism, reporting the excerpts but subtly inserting contrarian markers on the margins to sow doubt about the book’s credibility.
- Right wing media noted that the book contained “few specific detailed episodes”, in order “protect the author’s identity”, a subtle method of casting aspersions on the veracity of the book.
- The article also referred to the 25th amendment incident as “startling” and “unsupported”, casting any such discussion in a dubious light.
- Conservative sources also included a warning from the Justice Department that the anonymous author may be in violation of a non-disclosure agreement they signed with the administration.
- Left wing media was eager to provide the details obtained from the book, because the excerpts confirm much of the conclusions that progressives, as well as some conservatives, have long drawn about the President’s fitness for the position.
- Progressives, however, do not automatically view “Anonymous” as a hero, necessarily, as many note that the author still avails themselves of secrecy and safety, while State Department and other officials are testifying publicly in the impeachment inquiries.
- Right wing media came to the book with a more jaundiced eye than liberal media, because the book represents a great danger to the administration – an insider, inherently credible due to their proximity to the President – recounting negative and unflattering anecdotes about Trump.
- Conservatives have largely accepted that Trump is unconventional and even somewhat unfit for the office, but a book with withering details of the President’s mental acuity and reckless style may be a bridge to far for these conservatives, who generally comfort themselves with the notion that the bureaucrats surrounding Trump can manage the situation to the benefit of the world.
THINK FOR YOURSELF! Read our quoted article from the left here.
THINK FOR YOURSELF! Read our quoted article from the right here.